Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Inspiration is Everywhere

Inspiration is everywhere.

Sunday night, I went to a restaurant/micro brewery-thing. I didn't go there with the intention of being vigilant for inspiration, but I wasn't closed to the possibility.

The first thing that caught my eye: the place mats/drink menus. Such rich descriptions of the complex flavors of each drink. Made me want to get back to my bartender story. I took the disposable mat home, and will use it for research. Come on, I need to know the difference between malt liquor and a white wine, and I don't really drink. Menu and the web to the rescue!

The next thing to catch my attention were people's body languages. So fun to watch the differences between the men and women at the party (I forgot to mention: it was a party. There I said it.) The women mirrored body language of almost everyone they were talking to...a lot. Mirroring, according to my studies, means your subconscious intent is to please, agree, or flatter...or you're like-minded on something.

The men, however...One was on his phone, texting. Two were talking across from each other, and their body languages were not mirroring. Made me think that the two were internally disagreeing about sports or something (one's arms across chest while the other was gesturing. Licking lips, wanting to speak. Tight smiles.) 'Twas fun to observe and guess. Maybe they were just bored.

And I got a fun idea for my TV series when two friends mirrored each other a little too well. It involves glasses. That's all I"m saying.

Inspiration is everywhere. You just have to be receptive to it.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for inspiration!

    I think that's one of the best things about writing. We're always working even when we're not. It is so much fun to observe people and try to guess what people are thinking. Men do seem to be less outwardly expressive than women don't they? I've heard psychologists say it is because they are less empathetic and more aggressive than women but I prefer to believe it is because they express themselves in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think the same thing…though, maybe some men are more aggressive. But then, there are aggressive women. Everyone’s different. It is VERY funny to guess what they’re thinking/how they’re feeling  Happy writing!

      Delete