Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Tradition!

My family has very few Christmas/holiday traditions...well, ones that have carried over into (my) adulthood. With seven deaths and some crap in the last year or so, things have changed. Dynamics change. You grow out of old things and into new things.



Why Have Traditions?

I mean, who cares? ...right? Maybe THIS guy...


I learned from my grandmother, who grew up in devastating war times, how important it is to keep with tradition and celebrate the holidays during tough times.
- Marcus Samuelson

Okay, so I have you convinced that holiday traditions are good, yes? But what are some traditions I could start with MY family?" you ask.

So glad you stopped in!

1. Sleeping next to the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve
3. Read the Christmas story together
4. Watch your favorite Christmas movies in a marathon
5. Bake everyone's favorite cookies and decorate them together
6. Give money to a trusted charity in each other's honor
7. Open one gift on Christmas Eve (one family I know gave their daughter new PJs every Christmas Eve)
8. Give an ornament to your loved one that has something to do with what happened during the year*
9. Go caroling at a nursing home
10. Volunteer

#

How about YOU? What are some of YOUR favorite traditions? Any new ones this year? 

I have a toddler niece and would love to hear ideas for special activities to do with her!

___
*For example: When I was really into Harry Potter, my mom got me a Harry Potter ornament. When In a Pickle was published, she gave me an ornament with the cover art plastered across it.

2 comments: