Tuesday, September 9, 2014

You're Not Funny: A PSA

We all like to tell jokes, be funny, make someone laugh. But people (myself included, for sure) need to be careful when it comes to humor.

OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) is a topic near to my heart. I was officially diagnosed with the disorder about ten years ago, but it really started when I was only eight (around twenty-two years ago.) It's been true mental anguish, dealing with OCD. So... 

OCD + humor = A real turn-off (to me, at least)

Sometimes, yes, laughing about a problem can make it seem lighter. But when an OCD joke comes out of the mouth of someone who doesn't suffer from the disorder, it just comes across as callused. I like to be taken seriously. I can laugh at my problems, but unless I invite you to laugh about them with me, I suggest holding off.

We don't get to choose what makes people laugh, but we do get to choose what jokes we tell.

Thanks for reading and for understanding,
Beth

___
I'm far form perfect. I've slipped and made some hurtful remarks before.

What's your opinion? Am I being too PC? Do you relate? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment