Saturday, March 29, 2014

That Spark (Saturday Ramblings)

I think you know where I'm going with this. That spark. The emotionally charged energy that directs itself at your creativity. That. Some know it as inspiration.

Sayings about inspiration abound, but the main one that writers hear is this: Don't wait for creativity in order to write.

That applies to painters (don't wait to paint!) and musicians and every other type of artist. But there's also something that artists need to do: Step back and assess. If something's not working, sleep on it. It's called rest, and I've been needing it lately.

I'm not taking a break from writing, per se. I'm taking a rest from pressure. Pressure actually doesn't turn a piece of coal into a diamond. Put pressure on coal and you have, well, coal dust. As faulty as that former statement is, there is a generous sliver of truth. Pressure can test and refine. A lot of times, pressure has positive results.

I guess all of this is an excuse to say that for the next few weeks, I'm going to be easier on myself and not force writing on myself. You can lead a horse to water, but don't stuff his snout in it for too long, 'cause he'll drown. Rest.

And while I'm resting, I'm going to reassess my platform. I'm a Christian first, a daughter/sister/aunt/friend second, and a writer third. Being a believer in Jesus Christ, I want to reflect that and not be a phony. I hope to do some good praying and reflecting in these next few weeks, and (try to) trust that when I come back to things with full(er) force, I'll be rested and more real.

~Beth
____
Do YOU need to take the pressure off yourself for a little while? Don't feel bad and don't be hard on yourself. We have Sundays for a reason ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment