Thursday, November 14, 2013

Ewww! Squeamish Stomachs Beware!

I was just watching the latest episode of Survivor, and was totally grossed out by the first challenge. I don't want to post spoilers, but last week's "scenes from our next episode" gave away the fact that there was an eating competition.

For those of you who've never watched the show, "eating competitions" aren't about scarfing down hot dogs. What they devoured were "native delicacies." Stuff that would make people like me barf. Then I thought, what are the grossest things I've eaten?

In my book In a Pickle, Charlie Pickle loves sausage patties and links. Fun fact: I cannot abide pork products. Why Charlie favors them, I do not know. But that is not by FAR the grossest thing I've eaten.

Right before my senior year of high school ended, I played my youth group's version of the show...Survivor: Trinity (I was out third.) There was no gross eating contest, but to prove that I was real Survivor material--and being one to get a laugh--I ate a green (hairless and harmless) caterpillar. Gross, but not the grossest.

My grandma is one of the world's best cooks. But she likes to fry up a certain canned ham. Before I was adverse to pork, I gave it a whirl. Pretty close to the grossest thing, but I would eat that over a few other items.

Peppercorns. I HATE BLACK PEPPER! Sure, I like a little ground in a dish where you only get the heat not the flavor. But the stuff is NASTY. Make me choose between canned ham and a peppercorn...and I'll probably ask to be excused from the table.

Sardine-flavored jelly beans tasted AWFUL. I know you want to go to Hogwarts, but that doesn't mean you want to take a "risk with every mouthful."

Smoked salmon. Fishies under the sea should stay under the sea. Especially salmon, and especially when it's smoked. Worst taste EVER.

For the record: The most disgusting "food" of mine is not liver, brain, kidney, any intestines or organs, really. No. The grossest thing I've eaten: Bones. In my soup. Yeah. I won't say who made the soup of death or where I had it, but I was forced to swallow tiny bones that were large enough to make me gag and could've broken my teeth.

All of these things are/were DISGUSTING. And, for the record, I've eaten grass.
___

What's the grossest thing you've put in your mouth, chewed, and swallowed?

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Beth. I don't watch the Survivor show, but my parents do. I guess one of the worst foods I've ever eaten was liver (when I was a kid). Yuck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eww! Liver sounds pretty gross *gags*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Beth. I've got the liver story too. Nearly gagged on it. Oddly, as an adult learned to eat it slathered in ketchup. LOL Most things can go down with enough ketchup or mustard.
    Then my husband was in a cholesterol study and we learned it wasn't all that great for you, so I've never made it again. Oh, and I'm not a fan of suvivor either--too much gross eating on that show! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Beth Blogs, Marsha!

    I am so glad I never had the guts (haha) to try liver. My mom, unfortunately, had to eat that and COW TONGUE as a child. ICK! My dad actually likes liver. Liver and onions. O.o

    Yeah, eating challenges on Survivor are the worst. It's still a fun show for me, seeing as I've watched every season, only missing an episode here and there. Kind of like a tradition, I guess :-D

    ReplyDelete