Monday, June 3, 2013

Back in Time

Time-travel. I think we've probably all been exposed to the trope, whether in movies, books, or TV shows.

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells was published in 1895, and two films were made out of it. Also, back in the late 90's, the children's television show Wishbone did its own mini adaptation of the classic.

Doctor Who, while not my favorite show (wink), has drawn viewers from all over the globe. Time-travel, space travel, is there nothing a Tardis can't do? And will someone please explain to me why there are so many different Doctors?

 Back to the Future brings images of bright orange "life preservers" and Deloreans to mind, as well as the hip sounds of Huey Lewis and the News. Let's admit it to ourselves: The first two were the best, the last one was...Well, I'll let you argue it out in the comments :)

The Missing series by Margaret Peterson Haddix takes us back and forth through time. It's a fun middle grade series, and I don't want to give away the major twist so Shhhh!

I've never read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, but I've heard that it's good.

There are two major disadvantages I see in using this genre/trope/whatever-you-want-to-call-it:

1. The paradox factor (I killed my father as a child, so now I'm not born, but if I weren't born, I didn't kill my father, so he's still alive and I was born, but I killed my father...) Don't get me started on alternate reality (Star Trek rebooted...I am pro, btw.)

2. Historical accuracy (Read: TONS of research.)

Despite those major hurdles, it's one of my favorite genres to write (and read) in.

Anyone have any other thoughts on this? Any favorite time travel books, programs, movies I should check out? I'm always looking for new material to entertain myself with :)

Keep breathing,
Beth

2 comments:

  1. If you want to write about time travel, you need to check out the GURPS (Generic Universal Role-Playing System) sourcebook: Time Travel. Out of all of the time travel stuff I've digested over the years, this is the best reference I've run across for anyone who wants to dabble.

    You don't need to buy a copy of GURPS to understand it. It's pretty much self-contained.

    It contains:
    explanations of different time travel methods.
    theories on paradoxes.
    many ways to use time travel in a scenario.
    and the recipe for gunpowder, which every good time traveler would know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks, Mike! I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete