Friday, November 16, 2012

Author Interview: Jo Ramsey

Today's guest is none other than Jo Ramsey, author of Vengeance is Sweet. Ready to hear what she has to say? Good, get reading!

Cover art:

Me: Welcome! Tell us a bit about your book. 


Jo: I wrote this book after hearing a reference to a demon of vengeance on the TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I thought it would be funny if a *real* vengeance demon was dissed because "oh, you're like on that show about the chick who killed vampires", and jotted a quick scene. Which grew into a novel about a vengeance demon who tends to bend, if not outright shatter, the rules. When Omara is assigned to "venge" Alejandro Ruiz, she quickly realizes something isn't right about the assignment and sets out to prove that Alejandro is innocent. 


Me: Is this your debut work? 



Jo: No, it isn't my debut. Under the name Jo Ramsey, I have 10 young adult novels and two YA short published now, with four other novels and two more shorts under contract. Under a different name which I won't share here, I've had over thirty romance shorts, novellas, and novels published. Readers who are curious about my Jo Ramsey books can visit the Bookshelf page on my website for a complete list and links to separate pages on my site where they can read excerpts and find buy links.


Me: How long did this book take you, from draft one to ready to submit?



Jo: I honestly can't remember; I wrote the book in 2010, and I have a mind like a steel sieve... I think it was probably about 4-6 months, since that's the high end of my usual range for novels. (Interviewer Interruption: Ha ha! Mind like a sieve? I totally relate.)


Me: As an author, who has influenced your work the most?



Jo: I've had a lot of influences, and I can't really pinpoint one "most" influential person.


Me: Random question time: Your main character gets to play God for the day. What is the first thing s/he does?



Jo: She's a vengeance demon, so she already has a ton of powers. However, given something she says in the book, I would say if she gets to be the Ultimate Creator for a day, she would change the rules so that all humans who are slated to receive vengeance (which involves being killed in the same way they killed or harmed their victims and then being brought to Hell) would first be given an opportunity to ask for redemption.


Me: Here's my favorite question to ask authors: "Do you believe in the dreaded Writer's Block?" If so, how do YOU get past it?


Jo: I have occasional writer's block on individual projects, so I just switch over and work on something else for a while.


Me: Care to tell us anything about your current work-in-progress?


Jo: My current work-in-progress is an adult romance, so I'd rather not mention it here since it's under my other pen name. I don't currently have another project planned for the Jo Ramsey name, but I'm sure a plot bunny will strike soon.


Me: And last but not least: Do you have any words of wisdom for new and aspiring authors?




Jo: Writing isn't something that can be mastered, just improved on. Always be open to improving. And when you're ready to submit, do your homework. Make sure if you're submitting to a traditional publisher, they have a good reputation, good contract terms, support their authors promo-wise, etc. And always follow submissions guidelines.


Me: Thanks so much for your time! Best of luck to you with your writing future. May it be full of much fun and success.

Beth

___



About the author: Jo Ramsey is a former special education teacher who now writes full time and does office work as a hobby. She wrote her first story at age five and her first novel at age twelve, and hasn't stopped since. Her first published young adult novel was Connection, from Jupiter Gardens Press (January 2010). She lives in Massachusetts with her two daughters, her husband, and two cats, one of whom thinks she's a dog.

Visit Jo at: www.joramsey.com

2 comments: