Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Author Interview: J.Q. Rose


Today I have J.Q. Rose, author of Girls Succeed, on my blog. Ready? Here we go!




Length (page length): 52
Genre: Children’s non-fiction
Purchase link: 
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/241825


Me: Welcome to my blog! Tell us something about your book.
           
J.Q.: I was honored to interview fifteen fantastic women for the interactive e-book about their careers. We have a doctor, scientist, Olympic and Paralympics gold medalist athletes, teacher, professional clown, children’s book author, chef, technology expert, horticulturist, minister, semi-truck driver, social worker, and entrepreneurs. Not only do they share information about their careers, they also tell us what or who inspired them to choose this journey.

It is an interactive e-book because after each chapter there are links to information about the woman and/or her career. Readers can click on them if they are on the Internet to learn more about each person and her topic. As an example, Pati Pierucci is a horse trainer and teaches students how to compete in dressage competitions. I have a link to her and dressage sites as well as a video of the 2012 Olympics dressage competition.

Me: What inspired you to put this book together?

J.Q.: While working at a girls summer resident camp in Michigan, I enjoyed meeting and interacting with the campers and the counselors. I wondered in the new world of more career opportunities for women what choices would these smart, energetic girls make. What plans do they dream about for their future?.

Me: What do you hope middle-grade girls will get out of this book?

J.Q.: It is my hope this book will be a guide and inspire the girls to reach their goals.

Me: What, in your opinion, is the biggest challenge girls face in the career world today? How is it to be overcome?

J.Q: Self-confidence. Girls need to be surrounded with positive people and role models in order to let them interact with confident women and decide to be “just like them.”

Me: When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?

J.Q.: When I was growing up girls could only be secretaries, teachers, and nurses. I wanted to be a veterinarian and a journalist. I am finally living my dream after all these years by writing for newspapers and finishing this project for girls.( I dropped becoming a vet because I couldn’t stand watching a kitty or puppy in pain.)

Me: Before you go, would you care to share a few words of wisdom for girls pursuing their dreams?

J.Q.: My guiding light for writing this book was the quote from Eleanor Roosevelt, “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”

Me: Thanks so much for your time. I wish you the best with this book. I hope it inspires young girls everywhere!

J.Q.: Thanks, Beth, it’s so much fun to finally have the book out into the world and into the hands of readers.

____
About J.Q. Rose: After writing feature articles in magazines, newspapers, and online magazines for over fifteen years, J.Q. Rose entered the world of fiction writing with her first published novella, Sunshine Boulevard, released by Muse It Up Publishing in 2011. Using her skills as a freelance writer,. Janet published a book very close to her heart, a non-fiction book for middle grade girls, Girls Succeed: Stories Behind the Careers of Successful Women. Blogging, photography, The Pegs and Jokers board game and travel keep her out of trouble most of the time. Spending winters in Florida with her husband allows Janet the opportunity to enjoy the life of a snowbird. Summer finds her up north camping and hunting toads, frogs, and salamanders with her four grandsons and granddaughter.

Visit her at her website or blog

To learn more about Girls Succeed, go to:  http://girlssucceed.blogspot.com/

___

WIN A PDF COPY OF GIRLS SUCCEED!
Just comment on this blog post before 11:59 PM ET on October 12, 2012
in order to be entered in a random drawing.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you, Beth, for featuring my new e-book for girls on your blog. This is the "official" unveiling of the book...just released this week!
    In fact it just went live on Amazon this morning at http://girlssucceed.blogspot.com/ I am excited and looking forward to getting the e-book into the hands of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might not have had such a struggle to succeed if I had this book when I was a teen. If I win, I will send it to my teen granddaughters. They're pretty driven to success already, but some stories about women following a path might give them some good ideas.

    Congrats, JQ. This looks like a book a LOT of parents will want to buy for their daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Marva. There are fifteen careers in the book plus more on my Girls Succeed blog at http://girlssucceed.blogspot.com/ Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is full of entertaining stories of women who went for the careers they wanted. Thanks, JQ, for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was so brave of you to put this project together! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Tess. I love all the stories, but I did get a kick out of Pati Pierucci's story when she was riding her white stallion in the dressage competition. Oh yeah, and children's author Jane Stroschin telling how she had to get off the highway and stop at a little diner to write the story on the back of the placemats. Oh, and the story....well I could go on and on. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Joselyn, I don't know if you could call me brave or just in love with the project. Thank you for the good luck. I'll need it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Beth! I enjoyed reading the interview you did with J.Q. She is an awesome lady. I am so happy for her that she was able to realize a dream with the finishing of this book. Way to go, J.Q!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Susanne, for your kind words and your support...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful interview, ladies. J.Q. this book sounds wonderful. Good luck with it! I'm off to Amazon to give it a "Like"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, Pat. I "like" that idea. Glad you enjoyed the interview. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the comments, folks, and thanks to J.Q. for a great interview!

    ReplyDelete