Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Author Interview: Conda V. Douglas

Greetings! Today's interview features Conda V. Douglas, author of The Mall Fairies: Exile. Read on!

Cover art: 




Me: Welcome! Tell us a bit about your book. 

Conda: Swoop the fairy lives in the attic of a shopping mall and loves it. She’s terrified of Outside, where fairies can die. But when Swoop finds her best friend One Wing in the company of a human, she determines she’ll do anything to save him from being exiled Outside, a death sentence, or so she believes.

Me: Is this your debut work? 

Conda: This is my debut novel! But I was fortunate enough to sell two novels in 10 days to two different publishers last year. My other novel, a mystery, STARKE NAKED DEAD, was published three months after THE MALL FAIRIES: EXILE. You can find these titles as well as several of my short stories published in anthologies on my Amazon home page here: https://www.amazon.com/author/condadouglas


Me: How long did this book take you, from draft one to ready to submit?

Conda: THE MALL FAIRIES: EXILE took 10 months to completion. However, it took over a year before it was ready to send out, because I had to set the manuscript aside between each of my drafts. Otherwise, I'm liable to toss the whole book into the fire, if I look at it too soon after finishing a draft. That would be bad, as it is a fake gas fire, smoke all over the house.
Me: As an author, who has influenced your work the most? 

Conda: With this work, it has to be the wonderful author Terry Pratchett. He showed me the way, as a writer of adult (not erotica, just grown up) fiction that I could become a writer of YA and 'tween tales.
Me: Random question time: Your main character finds him or herself trapped in an elevator with their worst enemy. Describe the scene that ensues.

Conda: Ahem, I believe that scene is in my book. No spoilers here, but when my main character Swoop the fairy encounters her worst enemy, a human, in an elevator, you'd think it'd be all over for five inch tall Swoop, right? But remember, Swoop may be small, but unlike that nasty evil human—she can fly. In fact, she's the best flier in the fairy clan, hence her name, Swoop. Sure the human has size and strength to the nth degree, but Swoop has speed and agility. AND she's a small target. Who wins this battle? Read the book to find out!
Me: Here's my favorite question to ask authors: "Do you believe in the dreaded Writer's Block?" If so, how do YOU get past it?

Conda: Yes, unfortunately I do believe, too well, in Writer's Block. The most effective way I've discovered to crack that horrid block is by telling myself I won't work on what I'm blocked on. I insist that I stop working on it and start work on something else, anything else. And being a contrarian, i.e.  crazed author, as soon as I do that I start to think of what to write next. Block broken.

Me: Care to tell us anything about your current work-in-progress?

Conda: You betcha. Next up is the second in my Mall Fairies trilogy, THE MALL FAIRIES: WAR where fairy Swoop encounters trolls, pixies and good looking guys, oh my. And that's just the beginning of her new adventure.

Me: And last but not least: Do you have any words of wisdom for new and aspiring authors?

Conda: Two words: KEEP WRITING. No matter how difficult to find time to write, or how many rejections you gather, keep writing. As long as you write, you're a successful writer.


____




About Conda: I knew at age 10 that I was born to write. I grew up in a tiny mountain town in Idaho, in my folk’s funky art gallery, lots of juice for my writing. The inspiration for my Mall Fairy trilogy came from the swallows that live in the Boise Towne Square Mall. I've traveled the world and my own tiny office, writing all the while. When not rescuing fairies from humans, cats, and themselves, I work on the next title in the Mall Fairy trilogy.

Visit Conda at:  http://condascreativecenter.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me on your blog, Beth! This was a lot of fun and made me think a bit--great questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great interview Conda. Your book sounds so good and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Conda! I hope you have much success with this book, and that it inspires many young girls :)

    ReplyDelete






















  4. I agree...keep writing. A blank page is not good, so fill it up with thoughts, stories, journals, and how about a grocery list??? Loved your interview, Ladies.






    ReplyDelete