Friday, September 28, 2012

Author Interview: H.M. Prévost

Happy Friday, all! Welcome to blog. Today I have H.M. Prévost, author of Desert Fire, joining us. Are you ready? Here we go!

Cover art: 


Me: Welcome to my blog! Tell us a little about your book

H.M.: After running to the scene of a plane crash in Abu Dhabi, Nick Chevalier stumbles across classified military secrets. A ruthless terrorist will stop at nothing to get them. As Nick investigates the cover-up behind the downed plane, he crosses paths with an agent from a covert espionage agency and makes the leap from high school senior to teen spy. But he realizes too late that he put more than his own life at risk—his mother and sister are also in danger. Does he have what it takes to outwit a terrorist who wants him dead and save the two people he loves?

Me: Is this your debut book? 

H.M.: Yes, Desert Fire is my first novel. The sequel, Shadow Army, will be published in December. The content edits are done, and I am waiting for line edits!

Me: How long did this book take you, from draft one to ready to submit?

H.M.: I wrote it in ten months, which for me, is really fast! Then I spent a few months polishing it with my critique partners and started sending it out to publishers. Finding a publisher took forever (well over a year)!

Me: Random question time: Your main character finds him- or herself in a burning museum (of your choice) with the President of the United States of America, the Queen of England, and their favorite actor. They can only save one person or object. Who or what is it and why?

H.M.: Considering all the intrigue in this spy novel, I would have to say the President of the USA. Nick would grab the President, swing the man over his shoulder, and escape out a window. Being who he is, he wouldn’t take credit it for it and wouldn’t like being called a hero. 

Me: Here's my favorite question to ask authors: "Do you believe in the dreaded Writer's Block?" If so, how do YOU get past it?

H.M.: I think it’s a myth. Sometimes I’m too tired to come up with new ideas, but that’s not writer’s block, it’s fatigue! A writer can come up with ideas at any time. I find that I have too many ideas, and I never have time to write them all down. 

Me: Care to tell us anything about your current work-in-progress?

H.M.: It is a steampunk novel about a girl who is an inventor in a strict London society that does not allow women to be inventors. 

Me: And last but not least: Do you have any words of wisdom for new and aspiring authors?

H.M.: Don’t give up! Get a critique group, keep writing and keep submitting what you write! 

Me: Thank you for the interview! I wish you much success and happiness.
 
Beth

________
H.M. Prévost is a writer, photographer, teacher and avid reader of YA fiction. Thrillers, fantasy and paranormal romances (that’s right, pretty much anything with a vampire in it!) are her favorite genres. She also loves to paint and has covered her house with murals. For many years, she worked abroad in the United Arab Emirates, which provided an exotic setting for her debut YA thriller, Desert Fire. She lives in Québec with her husband, two rambunctious daughters, and Ginger the cat.

Visit her at: www.hmprevost.com

ETA - One lucky reader will win a copy of H.M's book!! Just leave a comment on this post to enter and stay tuned for the winner!

6 comments:

  1. Nice interview! The book sounds good.

    I jot down thoughts when a story idea occurs to me, and I keep them in a notebook for later.

    I believe in burnout as a form of writer's block.

    Cheers, Kelly (fellow MIU writer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. Congrats on your book and the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great read. Must be a lot of action in the story, and I do like action. Good luck with the sales and congrats on getting your first book published. We look forward to many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since I met the author at the MuseItUp Retreat, I have wanted to read this book. I hope I win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello H.M., sister muser...I've read some of H.M.'s work, she has an excellent voice, strong characters, and her stories are always page turners:) Sorry Heather...I hope I win *grins*
    kaydeeroyal at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Sounds like it will be an interesting book to read. It is on my TBR book list. I look forward to reading it.

    smdrazic(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete