Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Me Rambling

It's been awhile since I've posted (no duh.) To be real without turning things into a soap opera--ooh! Space Opera! SQUIRREL!--I've been discouraged. Yes, everyone gets that way, I know. I just needed some space from my blog, since I've really had nothing to say.

Now I have something to say, or at least, I hope I do.

I'm talking about self-doubt, which I think is probably the biggest monster a writer can encounter. No matter what others say about you, you can still have a good self-image. But once that self-image is tarnished, it's a heckuva hard time getting out of that rut.

You know what I mean. That rut where you beat yourself over the head with every little failure. Where you second guess every decision you make. It's the land of blah.

How do we get out of it? I don't know. Time? Forcing ourselves to do things we don't really want to do? Whatever it is, the following two things do NOT help:

1. Beating yourself up.

It never works. It doesn't make you better. You don't learn from your mistakes if that's all you focus on. Focus on the prize. Keep your eyes on it. That's Biblical!

2. Never trying again.

You need to get back in the saddle eventually. Duh!

So I guess there's no special secret formula to get over writer's blah. Get back at it, when you can.

You can do this. I can do this. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

2 comments:

  1. When it comes to creativity, self-doubt is the biggest, baddest monster out there.

    And yup, you're right. All you can do is tell your head to shush and keep moving. And try to remember that every book you've ever loved was written by someone who felt the very same way about themselves and their work.

    And you were right about this, too: You can.

    Now get to work. And good luck.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joe. I needed to hear that :)

    ReplyDelete