Friday, May 13, 2011

Honesty and an Over-used Analogy

To be honest, things haven't been going that great lately. I've been caught in a rut. A wasteland. A desert. Etc., etc., etc.

Then it occurred to me: If my tank has no fuel, my car isn't going to run and I'll be stuck in the desert FOREVER.

Without fuel, a car can't run (and neither can the AC--It is HOT in this desert.) Likewise, if I don't feed the artistic side of my brain, I will be stranded in a literary desert. No words. No ink. No hope.

Fortunately, there is a desert oasis/gas station. It's called The Library. So, fellow traveller (am I stretching this metaphor too far?), I am taking a pit stop. No use hitting the gas pedal when there's nothing in the tank, right?

It's not just about reading lots, though (I have been reading some, but that's about to be upped.) There are many things that fuel a writer's brain. They cover the five senses:

- Art. Painted, sculpted and photographic types of art. (Sight)
- Music. (Sound)
- Diet. Yes, eating nutritious and new foods, I believe, help stimultate the senses and thus fuel creativity. (Taste and smell)
- Exercise. Walking, jogging, aerobics, yoga, pilates... they all get endorphins pumping. (Touch... sweat, feet hitting the ground, the feel of your clothes sticking to your body...)

I've already started refueling my body and brain with diet and exercise. I'm going to add in some more variety of music, and I plan on visiting an art museum and a flower garden in the upcoming months.

Sound like a good plan?
___
What do you do when you run out of fuel?

2 comments:

  1. Gardening, walking, gardening ,having a change of scene, gardening, a spot of DIYing, gardening, sewing, gardening, spring cleaning. Oh, and did I mention doing a bit in my garden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dizzy - Heeheehee :D Love it. I wish I could enjoy gardening. Maybe I would if I could remember to water stuff when it doesn't rain...

    ReplyDelete