Monday, February 7, 2011

The Time Warp Contest!

I've done it: I've completed my first draft of "In a Pickle." And I intend not to be the only one who benefits from this.

"In a Pickle" follows a boy on his time travels. In Charlie Pickle's honor, I give you the...

TIME WARP CONTEST!
Write a paragraph on what era (be it past or future) you would want to travel to and why. Tell me in fewer than 200 words and no fewer than 50. Post your paragraph in the comments section between now and February 28th to qualify.

RULES and ELIGIBILITY
-50 to 200 words
-Post in the comments section
-Post no later than 11:59 EST on February 28th
-You must be at least eighteen (18) years old
-RULE CHANGE: You don't HAVE TO be a resident of the US. It would be nice, but if you're not, I won't have a cow ;-)
-You must have fun!

My three favorite entries will be announced on March 3rd.

PRIZES:
-Third place: A copy of "Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook" (a very funny read for any lover of classics)

- Second place: A replica of an antique pocket watch (time travel appropriate, no?)

and last but not least:

- First place: A writer's goody box, which includes:
1 box of Bic pens (12)
1 Moleskine ruled notebook (pocket)
3 boxes of Penguin Caffeinated Chocolate mints (nom!)
1 Isoflex stress ball
1 hardcover copy of Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style"

Sound worth playing for? Then get a-writin'! And be sure to tell all your friends.
____
Oh, entries go in the comments below

6 comments:

  1. This sounds great. My entry is forthcoming, and I'll spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very awesome! And congrats on finishing! *squeee*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would travel to 1963, ten years before my birth. I am happy to let the future evolve and surprise me, so I have no desire to travel there, yet. Thanks to dreadful eyesight I would be run over by a carriage, or woolly mammoth, if I travelled to the distant past. By 1963 I could access great music, spectacles, affordable travel, and a degree of freedom as a woman. Given the economy of the day I would probably be forced to emigrate from my home in Ireland to London and I could find out for myself if the sixties were as much fun as everyone claims.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might give it a go, Beth, but just for fun. I wouldn't expect a prize as shipping to the UK is far too expensive. I wouldn't want you having kittens, let alone a cow (I haven't heard that one before)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just for Fun

    I may be wearing an oversized pair of rose-tinted spectacles, but I'd like to travel back to the 1950s. This was the decade when I was growing up.
    People were much happier with far less in the fifties. Good manners and respect were the norm. It was much safer for children to wander freely. Jobs were plentiful and houses were affordable. No credit cards, people had to work hard and save for what they wanted. Everyone appreciated and valued their possessions more. Things were made to last. 'Make do and mend' was the name of the game. The throw away society hadn't been born back in the fifties.
    There are two things I would like to take back with me if I may. The first is my husband as we didn't meet until the sixties dawned. The other is the internet so that I can stay in touch with the friends I have made from all around the world. Mind you, some of them weren't even a twinkle in their fathers' eyes back then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Elena - Thanks for spreading the word! Looking forward to your entry :-)

    @Dani - Thanks!

    @Dizzy - Yeah, over here it's "don't have a cow!" I have heard the expression "having kittens" though :)

    Great entries so far. Keep 'em coming! You have until 11:59 PM on February 28th.

    ReplyDelete