Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Why?

Here's a question for you all:

Why do you write?

Ask me that question and I'll tell you: I don't know.

I guess I get ideas, they excite me and I want to do something with them. I've always been a day-dreamer. I've always been semi-creative. But why does it have to be on paper?

Do I write for money? Clearly not, since this is not a lucrative biz.

Do I write for fame? Fame would be nice some day, but it is a very SLIM possibility. Which brings me to the next question:

Would I be all right in, say thirty years from now, still being a literary "nobody"?

I don't know. I've already made it twenty years writing without much success. It's only been laltely that I've been questioning my motives.

Do I write for pleasure? It pleases me when I'm writing for me and only me. But when I start thinking "Would anyone else like this?" that is when I stumble.

Finally, do I write because that's all I've ever known? Am I scared of facing the unknown?

Honestly, I don't know. I'm just in the dark about my own motives as you are about my motives.

I've been taking a "sabatical" from writing. It might continue for a day, a minute, a month, a year... But something tells me I will come back for more (even if eventually.)

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I have to write. Some folks say they have to because the people inside their head won't shut up if they don't. My head won't shut up if I don't write. It doesn't even have to be creative necessarily. I want to write creatively. I need to write though. Every day. Whether it's my journal, my blog, or a story, I need to express myself every day. It's how I connect to other people, it's how I make connections in my head, it's how I sort out the world and how I fit in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Kim. I like how you put it:

    "... it's how I sort out the world and how I fit in it."

    Hope your writing's going wonderfully well ;-)

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete