Sunday, July 18, 2010

Things I Should Do

Sometimes when things get overwhelming for me it's because there's too much in my head and not enough down on paper. On paper (or computer screen) I don't have to worry about forgetting things.

Where was I going with all this? Ah, yes... What I, As a Writer, Should Be Doing. My virtual list.

  • Write
  • Revise
  • Read fiction of different genres and lengths to keep abreast of trends, keep my mind sharp, learn from others' craft, etc.
  • Support my field: Read 'zines and mags of fiction. Donate where I can. Encourage the author when a story moves me, entertains me, rocks me
  • Keep abreast of the market: Read agents' blogs, follow them on twitter, read articles in writing magazines, internet, etc.
  • Track my submissions (Duotrope has a nifty feature for this)
  • Research

That's not everything, but these are definitely things I need to do.

__
What would you add?

2 comments:

  1. Keep up a consistent flow of panic that you're still not doing enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I'll just pencil that in with the obsessive email-checking and the frequent runs to Starbucks...

    ReplyDelete